Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Fresh Start for a 15 Year Old


Wow…another great day at Montgomery Comprehensive Dental Center.

My favorite days are those where I feel like I’ve truly made a difference in a patient’s life.

I met 15 year old Abigail (name has been changed for privacy) not long ago. Her parents brought her in to talk about getting her teeth straightened. After taking a look around her mouth I had a pretty good feeling that Abigail was probably experiencing some issues that she nor her parents had associated with having a bad bite.

After questioning Abigail, I learned that she was suffering quite a bit. She reported that her jaw joint popped, clicked and became painful when eating. She also complained of headaches, clenching, grinding and facial pain. When asked about sleep, Abigail said that she really didn’t sleep well, woke feeling tired and found it difficult to focus during the day.

I spoke with Abigail and her parents about the benefits of neuromuscular (NM) dentistry. I explained that by getting the teeth in the position where the head and neck muscles are most comfortable, it creates harmony, and thus alleviates symptoms. I did let Abigail and her parents know that correcting the bite with NM dentistry does take more time and dedication on Abigail’s end, but that it’s what I would want for my children.

Her parents took a little time to think things over and in just a few days called and wanted to proceed with NM treatment, which included the fabrication of an oral appliance, called an orthotic, that Abigail would wear 24/7.

Abigail came back into the office for CAT scans, impressions and a full work up to determine where her jaw and facial muscles were most at ease. About two weeks later Abigail arrived to pick up her orthotic. I instructed her to wear it at all times, even when eating and sleeping.

Last week Abigail came in for the first of a series of adjustments. Before we even began she told me that her headaches and jaw pain was “100 percent better!” Just by looking at her I could tell that she had truly improved.

Fast forward to today, just two weeks since leaving the office with her orthotic; Abigail said that she’s sleeping better, dreaming for the first time in years and feels rested during the day.

If you’re suffering from issues like this please reach out to a NM dentist. Just a few visits could change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment